Social Innovation Director
Apply for this job by
Employer: John Rex Endowment
Located in: Raleigh, North Carolina
Degree Required: Masters
THE OPPORTUNITY & NATURE OF WORK
“Social innovation is the process of developing and deploying effective solutions to challenging and often systemic social and environmental issues in support of social progress.”
The Social Innovation Director will play a pivotal role in shaping the foundation’s direction through the design, implementation, and management of initiatives and programs and the development of relationships that further the mission of the John Rex Endowment. This individual reports to the President & CEO and supervises the Program Officer.
The Social Innovation Director will join a team of professionals who are committed to making a difference through philanthropy. The successful candidate will be a self-starting professional and effective collaborator who works well with small teams and shared decision-making, embraces change, and is excited about the direction of the John Rex Endowment.
Major responsibilities of the Social Innovation Director include (but may not be limited to):
- Identify, develop, and foster relationships that position the John Rex Endowment to drive systemic and community change in Wake County. Seek out and actively participate in coalitions, collaboratives, partnerships, civic engagement opportunities, and initiatives that further the mission and impact of the foundation.
- Provide thought leadership related to the implementation/roll-out of the John Rex Endowment Strategic Roadmap. Maintain knowledge of Wake County needs, factors and policies impacting the health of children and their families, and local and state efforts underway that will affect them. Stay abreast of emerging trends and best practices in philanthropy, grantmaking, impact investment, and alternative funding approaches. Take an active role in funder collaboratives and opportunities to work with other foundations.
- Develop and implement program strategy in support of the foundation’s priorities. Create program plans, budgets, evaluation criteria, and success metrics. Review and assess program effectiveness and progress against goals and report results to the board, staff, and external stakeholders.
- Supervise the development and implementation of grantmaking strategies, processes, and evaluation and learning frameworks.
- Build positive relationships with potential and current grantees and foster open lines of communication.
- Represent the John Rex Endowment in the community and at strategic partner meetings. Deliver public presentations and provide content for external communications.
- Curate relevant information learned and share with staff, board, grantees, and partners as appropriate.
- Manage the program staff, consultants, and technical resources required to carry out duties.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS, AND ATTRIBUTES OF THE SOCIAL INNOVATION DIRECTOR
The Social Innovation Director must demonstrate a firm commitment to and passion for the mission of the John Rex Endowment. In addition, the individual should possess the following attributes, skills, and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field. Master’s degree or graduate-level training in public health, public administration, social work, education, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of experience working in foundation, non-profit, human/social services agencies, and/or government entities.
- In-depth experience with program development, management, and evaluation.
- An understanding of issues and policies affecting children in Wake County and surrounding areas. Knowledge of the agencies and institutions involved in child well-being in Wake County and North Carolina.
- An understanding of trends in philanthropy and funding.
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities and deliver against deadlines while maintaining the flexibility necessary to adapt, respond, and meet the needs of the organization.
- Great attention to detail and a willingness to “get in the trenches” to achieve goals.
- The ability to develop positive, productive professional relationships with various stakeholders.
- Financial acumen with the ability to develop and manage budgets, and read, interpret, and act on financial reports submitted by grantees.
- Experience in a data-driven environment, with the ability to synthesize data into key points for presentation and decision-making.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively, while also implementing tactically.
- Enthusiastic approach to work, with the humility and attitude to work effectively in a team environment and contribute to team building and culture.
- Collaborative and creative nature with an approachable and respectful demeanor.
- High standards for confidentiality and personal integrity.
- Proven ability to express thoughts, perceptions, and ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; ability to project confidence and knowledge when speaking publicly.
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Armstrong McGuire & Associates, based in Raleigh, NC, is conducting this search in partnership with the John Rex Endowment. To apply, click on the link to the Social Innovation Director position profile at ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply. You will see instructions for uploading a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and professional references. Please provide all requested information to be considered; failure to do so will remove you from the process. In case of any technical problems, contact email@example.com. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or directly from third-party posting sites. The deadline for applications is January 15, 2019.
Salary is commensurate with the requirements of the position.?Benefits include medical, dental, life, short and long-term disability insurance; pension and 403(b) retirement plans; accrued vacation and sick time; 10 paid holidays; and a charitable matching program.
The John Rex Endowment actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. The John Rex Endowment is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Posted on 01/08/2019
The education abroad opportunities posted on this website are not formally affiliated with the University of Minnesota and have not been fully vetted. Opportunities posted on this website should not be construed as an endorsement by the University. Please contact the Learning Abroad Center for information regarding participation on all education abroad programs.